Jeffrey Lord has a beef with Elliott Abrams. Both of these gentlemen worked in the Reagan Administration. Lord was in the political office while Abrams was an assistant secretary of state. Apparently they had a good relationship while working under Reagan. So why are they at such odds now?
Abrams penned an article for National Review that pointed out that while Newt Gingrich voted with the Republican caucus in support of Reagan’s anti-Soviet initiatives, he posited speeches on the house floor that declared Reagan’s stance toward the Soviet Union was doomed to fail.
Into the breech steps Jeffrey Lord. First, Mr. Lord states that since Elliott didn’t bring his concerns to the White House political office, at least as far as he knew. Then, on the next day in the American Spectator, Jeffrey claims that Abrams distorted one of Gingrich’s floor speeches.
Not to take this lying down, the National Review had Rich Lowry respond to Mr. Lord’s assertions. Mr. Lowry provides evidence that Newt did indeed disparage Reagan during his floor speech. Rich also refutes Lord’s claim that Abrams was producing a hit-piece for Romney.
I won’t speak to the matter of the truth about either Abrams’ or Lord’s assertions. But what this spat shows is that Newt Gingrich is a lighting rod of controversy. He is generally loved and appreciated for all his accomplishments, but he is also the subject of derision over his wildly exaggerated view of himself.
- Jeffrey Lord: Elliott Abrams Lied About Newt Gingrich (markamerica.com)
- Ed Rollins, Jeffrey Lord and others rise to Newt’s defense (hotair.com)
- Reagan aide: These shots at Newt are “shameful” (hotair.com)
- Shame on Elliot Abrams – Shame on Mitt Romney (nicedeb.wordpress.com)
- Take that Romney! Nancy Reagan 1995: Ronnie turned the torch over to Newt Gingrich (usamericanfreedom.com)
- Rich Lowry Was 12 When Reagan Was Elected And It Shows (riehlworldview.com)
- Now, NRO, Elliott Abrams Caught Misleading As Part Of Yesterday’s Gingrich Attack (riehlworldview.com)
- Important Update: The Entire Gingrich Special Order NRO Used To Attack Newt (riehlworldview.com)
- The non-endorsing endorsers (politico.com)